Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Steven Crash-Parsons

hit counter












Junk Machinedear lady junk machine is crawling
the hands are falling off the clock
her dirty fingers empty cradles
slow dripping wishing it would stop

this concrete garden god forbidding
dead boulevard of broken dreams
you can barely hear a whisper
above the frozen echo screams

skin is withered bone bag sagging
this sickness drives the spirit down
with every heartbeat death is calling
behind the shadows coming down

what becomes of inspiration
how someone's baby gets so lost
feed the weakness feed the sickness
feed the machine at any cost

TBS:  You once said you almost published a book of poetry in your earlier days - what stopped you?

SC: Yes, it's funny really. I still have the completed manuscript, it was titled Ritual Skin. I had publishers interested and I was very excited, but 
then for no reason I just tucked it away and forgot about the whole thing. I was nervous, I think, about what others would say about my writing. I'm 
pretty shy about sharing my poetry and I would never do spoken word. Funny really, because I sing on stage and share my words that way.  I 
have actually used a lot of the Ritual Skin pieces in songs over the years, both live onstage and recorded with a pre-Jupiter Crash band I had 
called 83rd Dream. But those early works have never been properly completed or released. Shame, really.
TBS: Do you write the lyrics for Jupiter Crash by yourself as well?

SC: Yes. I write all the lyrics for our songs. It would be weird for me to sing lyrics I didn't write.

TBS: What other art are in involved in and will the public be seeing any of your other talents any time soon?

SC: I've been doing strange cartooning since I was a kid, very twisted take on Don Martin style from Mad Magazine. I would love to share it 
sometime, but it's more for fun than anything.  I also enjoy graphic arts - I do the majority of the imagery for the Jupiter Crash show posters and 
advertisements, as well a s some of our T-shirt designs.

TBS: Poetry has made a huge comeback.  What do you think of that?  Is it another artistic trend or a genuine passion from the younger people?

SC: I hope the kids today have passion for something besides YouTube and reality shows on Television. To me poetry has always had a very 
underground thing about it and I think it should stay that way. It really bothered me for a while in the 90's because it seemed to be everywhere, 
with spoken word venues popping up like Starbucks and Maya Angelou doing voice-overs promoting everything imaginable. I'm glad people are 
still embracing poetry but I prefer the image of beatniks huddled in smoky clubs, groovy jazz bands and college kids trying to be like, cool Daddy-o
O!

TBS: DO you think there is a big difference between poets, musicians and lyricist?

SC: Not really. It's just in how we choose to express our poetry that defines us. Music can be poetry too, listen to Jazz! Also, look at all the great 
poets that have fronted bands lyrically. I'm not talking about Britney Spears "Ooo-Baby, bay-bay" shit, but really talented people like Jim 
Morrison and modern geniuses like Chris Cornell. I love his lyrics, and he alone has the perfect tool to deliver his message, his voice. I've always 
been attracted to bands with a strong lyrical/poetry content featured. I touched on it earlier, but I really feel more comfortable singing my words 
into music rather than standing alone on stage and reciting them.

TBS:  This poem reeks of darkness; are you attracted to "dark" writers and if so, who?

SC: I think the first book I ever really devoured was a collection of macabre stories by Edgar Allen Poe. I also enjoy the poetry of William Blake 
and Jim Morrison. I find most Shakespeare to be pretty sinister as well as a romantic.

TBS: If you did publish a book what would the title be?

SC: Depends on the content, but maybe someday I will publish the Ritual Skin, it's been sitting collecting dust for 15+ years and I do have the 
support of CrashRevolution Records to get the job done.  Who knows, maybe someday... ?
TBS: So you guys are based in Seattle but have ties with Las Vegas can you tell me a bit about that and your upcoming goals with the city?

SC: Well, Jupiter Crash members all have strong ties to the Northwest but we feel like we may have better business advantages being based in 
Las Vegas. Nothing negative with Seattle, we still love it here. Honestly, Nevada is just a great hub, thus greater advantages for the band to tour 
more often and reach more people. And it doesn't suck to get a little Sunshine either!

TBS: How much do you think, if at all, the Seattle atmosphere and vibe helped in creating your records and how so?

SC: Seattle has a lot to do with who we are. We have history here and not just musically. Seattle is a great artist's environment and the awesome 
weather really impacts artist and musicians alike... but most obviously our choice of recording studios. Working with London Bridge and Jonathan 
Plum has really helped us understand our own music better and I think it shows with every new recording. No matter where the band lives we will 
always come 'home' to Seattle and London Bridge to record our music.

TBS: What can we expect from the newer material versus your debut and what have you learned along the way about recording?SC: Our newer material is just a little more 'Rock' than music we have made in the past, no big mystery really... we're a fucking 'Rock band' after 
all,  I'm influenced by bands that make every new record something different than the last.  I'm not sure that we are learning anything musically 
but we are learning a lot about ourselves. When bands are together, at least at the core like Jupiter Crash, you just start to grow naturally and it 
becomes easier for us to articulate our feelings about the music and individual contributions

TBS:  So, you auditioned for warped tour and Motley Crue's "Make Rock History" contest; explain a little about those two processes.SC: We were just proud to be a part of it all, really.  3,000 bands entered from all across the US and we were chosen in the top 30, flown to LA 
and did a one song—one shot audition. It was kind of cool but ultimately we were not the winner. Thanks to Motley for the free trip to LA and the 
nice digs in Beverly Hills!

TBS: A lot of people may not know that all of you go back a ways in the music scene can you tell readers about the other bands you all where in 
before settling in on Jupiter Crash?

SC: The past is the past. We all feel pretty good about being Jupiter Crash now and forever.

TBS: What do you think makes Jupiter Crash so much more different than your other bands if anything?

SC: The biggest difference is the attitude. We are definitely more of a business, and that's smart because these days you really have to be more 
self reliant than in the past. We own our publishing rights and have our own label called Crash Revolution Records, as well as a distribution deal 
with Seattle indie label SINister Records. We are in control of every aspect of our music, image and branding. It's very empowering and liberating.

TBS: Many people find it hard to tour and do all the necessary band business and have a family, but you are a full time father; how do you 
manage that?

SC:  Thankfully I have a lot of support from friends!

TBS: What albums have had a great influence on the band and where do you think admiring and copying has its boundary lines?

SC:  No one band in particular, really.  Each of us has many favorites, but copying any particular sound or style is not what we are about.  A lot 
of people think we sound like "so and so", but doesn't every band remind you of something else? It's kind of a pet peeve with me comparing 
bands.

TBS: With the economy the way it is, has it at all affected the band?

SC: It's actually made it easier for me, being currently laid off , because now I have time to tour and not worry about losing my crappy day job!   
Besides, I think people more than ever need to be entertained to keep our minds off of the fucked up economy.

TBS: What is the most "interesting" way Jupiter Crash has been described in the media?

SC: Someone once said we make "music to fuck to"—that was pretty sweet.

TBS: Any music videos in the future?

SC:  We would love to do a video, but the reality is it's very expensive and who plays it? YouTube?
  Because we all know MTV sure ain't in that 
market anymore.

TBS: thanks again Steven for this fabulous poem and interview:)

SC: Thank You so much for everything. I never thought I would be interviewed for my words...Really! If you want to find more lyrics and poetry 
check out 
www.myspace.com/stevencrash.  You can find us, our music, merchandise, tour news and more at www.jupitercrashsite.com Drop me 
a line sometime because I really love hearing from fans and friends! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment