Monday, July 2, 2012

Fiona Apple "the Idler Wheel" Album Review

Fiona Apple's  "The idler wheel is wiser than the driver of the screw and whipping cords will serve you more than ropes will ever do," Is not only a really long title for an album but is also the second longest Album title ever the first being her 1999 release "When the Pawn" which was a full poem that made it into the Guiness book of world records. "the Idler wheel" (Epic) Is very much a Fion Apple album.Meaning she doesn't experiment to the point of it not being recognizable,however ,it is a very fresh sound that most of us have been awaiting for the last 7 years.For a person who has been quoted as "Not caring if her career is over" She sure nails every heartbreaking song...Her voice often monotone then high pitch cracks fills the album with such precise,perfect imperfection.
The track that breaks my heart is Jonathan because it is dedicated to her ex in a way I think we all can relate to. "Kiss me while I calculate
And calibrate and heaven's sake
Don't make me explain

 And like her intense opening line on "Werewolf "I could liken you to a werewolf the way you left me for dead,

But I admit that I provided a full moon."
Her straight forwardness is to be admired on this album,However,she does still use metaphors such as
"While you were watchin someone else
I stared at you and cut myself"

Which Apple has said is not about actual Self Harm but more of a metaphor.

Again she makes you feel,think and react in ways that shake us up a bit but I get the feeling even if it had no affect she would not care too much.


Others to note
"Valentine"
"Werewolf"
"

No comments:

Post a Comment