Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bob Dylan "Tempest" Album Review

Bob Dylan is un-like other musical legends in one way.He LIVED!
Some say,however,that he should have INDEED died tragically and young with a pretty,wrinkle free corpse.I disagree but will say THIS. I think he should have quit music and retired to the pen and should have been pumping out amazing poetry books for years to come.But since that's not the case, I will share my take on his newest release 2012's "Tempest"


Bob Dylan admits that his upcoming studio effort, Tempest, isn't the album he intended to make when he began the project.
"I wanted to make something more religious," he reveals in a new Rolling Stone interview.  "I just didn't have enough [religious songs]."



If you were a fan of last years Christmas Album Dylan released you just might like this album...Better.

His voice a consistent growl, Lyrics both quirky and just plain odd " My heart is cheerful,It's never fearful" I'm in no great hurry,I'm not afraid of your fury" he sings on the first track "Duquesne Whistle" The country twang opening song takes you all over lyrically " It's soon after midnight and I got a date with the Fairy Queen"

Among the interesting tunes on the 10-song effort is the title track, a 13-plus-minute opus inspired by the Titanic, and influenced by a Carter Family number about the nautical tragedy.  Dylan even incorporated Leonardo DiCaprio into the narrative of "Tempest," noting, "I don't think the song would be the same without him.  Or the movie."


With Dylan it's tricky.He was brilliant in the 60's, completely Electric by the 80's and now  I would have to say he seems lost.He just spews out random lyrics, Voice getting lost in and out of folk/country collaboration.Sounding like the father of Tom Waits, I give this album a 2 star review.



Track listing

No.TitleLength
1."Duquesne Whistle" (Dylan, Robert Hunter)5:43
2."Soon after Midnight"  3:27
3."Narrow Way"  7:28
4."Long and Wasted Years"  3:46
5."Pay in Blood"  5:09
6."Scarlet Town"  7:17
7."Early Roman Kings"  5:16
8."Tin Angel"  9:05
9."Tempest"  13:54
10."Roll on John"  

No comments:

Post a Comment