Sunday, August 13, 2017

Lovely Chat With Singer/Songwriter,April Devereaux


April Devereaux
Photo Credit:  Mark Wilkins



KA: April, hello!

KA: It's an honor for me to be chatting with you, as I have been a long time fan of your work, especially a certain amazing band from Seattle called, Sybil Vane. It was the 90's and you guys sounded very different from what was being hyped during that time. What was it like, not only being in that band, but also, being so different?

AD: Thank you Kim!! It's an honor for me to be interviewed by you. Being part of the music scene in Seattle in the early 90's was a bit surreal. I remember casually bringing up members from the grunge scene up in conversation on a regular basis. Parties and after hours I attended would have members of any one of the famous bands you might associate with that time period. Sybil Vane opened for some of these bands too...I was so spoiled to know all these amazing artists.

KA: I was lucky enough to see Sybil Vane open for a few of these awesome bands:)

KA: What kinda crowd did you guys attract? Besides 16 year-old me, of course. hehe

AD: The crowds at our shows were very eclectic. And the age range was always interesting to see. I think it really had to do with who we were booked with in the beginning. When we started to headline we had our definite local fans and they were so good to come to most of our shows to support us. I would like to think we attracted people who wanted something different than what was going on with the grunge scene. I have been told we were ahead of our time but actually there were bands in Europe that had a similar sound at that time.

KA: Also, Sybil Vane's song, "Sorry", was featured in the cult film, Empire Records. How did that come to be?

AD: The Empire Records gig came about as a result of our A&R rep and a friend who worked in the entertainment industry from LA. It's really who you know..I hate that it's a cliche but so true.

KA: So insanely true, though.

KA: When I think back to bands that really were totally outside of the box in Seattle, primarily in the 90's, I also think of Sky Cries Mary, which reminds me, you're going to be working with Gordon Raphael,
 (He was keyboardist for the psychedelic band), What can you tell me about that collaboration? 


AD: Yes, Sky Cries Mary was a totally unique band and we opened for them on a regular basis. Gordon was a friend of ours and that's how we got to be a part of those magical shows. If you never saw them perform live you missed out. Gordon just released a full vinyl of his own work after producing only for years. He will be co producing my album and all songs are written and arranged by me. It's a project that has slowly taken shape over the years resulting from life's sorrows, disappointments and those moments of exhilarated joy that can't be explained in words alone. It's like most of my projects in that it is my art and it's about the work first. If anyone likes it after that fact then I am happy the work touches others in a positive way or helps them identify with emotions the work is promoting.

KA: I did see Sky Cries Mary live. I even had a fun interview with singer, Anisa Romero not long ago:)

KA: You've been busy! You're also in the middle of releasing a novel and a film, yeah?

AD: The novel is another project I have been chipping away at for the last 8 years. There is interest from a British publishing company and now the pressure is on. Before it was just about the story and writing was enjoyable. Whenever the business aspect comes into town there's that element of "it has to be marketable". I am trying to keep it real and write the story I want to tell regardless of the interest from this publishing company.
The film has not been started yet. Currently getting the book done and getting all songs ready for recording this winter in Germany are a priority. Being out of my comfort zone, which is definitely Seattle, will make for a better album I hope. Filming will start late Spring 2018:) You are invited to be in a scene if you so desire.

KA: Are you kidding??! I'd love to be in a scene! Just let me know the details:)

KA: Speaking of novels and films, what do you read and watch?

AD: Film Struck has been my go to for films in the last year. I love Akira Kirosawa films..he has been an inspiration for me in choosing filming techniques for my project coming up. As far as novels go, I love the classics especially Tolstoy.



KA: Act magazine is getting a bit involved with miss April, too?

AD: Act Magazine is a fantastic outlet for artists. They are just doing an artist call out for me. Basically a photo and a few sentences summing up my plans for the year...my year starts in September, so, wrapping up the book by then to start finalizing song arrangements is the order in which I hope to get the work done!

KA: As a performer and creator, what is important to you?

AD: This is a great question, Kim. As a creator my intentions are to tap into the universe for inspiration and direction. It's never just about me. It's about all of us. I am coming from the the perspective of my life experiences and I try to create work that will benefit others and be a positive outlet for them. As a performer, I want to reach out and touch everyone in the audience. It really is about opening up your being and becoming vulnerable when you perform. I prefer creating to performing as you give up a piece of yourself every time you perform. But sometimes there's those shows where there is an even flow of give and take..this is why I love small venues. I performed at the Bowery Electric last winter twice in New York upstairs in the piano room, and it's like you are literally playing in your living room for the crowd. The songs become the conversation at that point.

KA: Your voice is absolutely beautiful. When did you begin singing  and what was your motivation?

AD: Thank you. Actually my mother is my first teacher and inspiration in music. She really is the genius who plays several stringed instruments, the piano and has an amazingly beautiful voice. She has the gift and maybe any thing I have received comes from her. My second inspiration is Elizabeth Frazier from the Cocteau Twins. That woman has the most beautiful voice ever hands down. Her melodies and notation skills are brilliant. I fell in love with her when I was a kid. I heard the Cocteau Twins on KCMU way back when..now it's 90.3.

KA: Being that you were around in the Northwest music scene, how did you take the loss of so many local musicians?

AD: I remember being around the gifted artists we have lost from Seattle including the most recent tragedy. There are no words.

KA: You have a daughter, what is important to you about nurturing her creative side?

AD: My daughter's name means radiant creative. She is the most sensitive, caring, compassionate person I know and she is the love of my life. She also has a depth of empathy that few in this world possess. True creativity comes from these qualities to make an artist. It's either from beauty or ugliness within that art arises. Her creativity, her inner artist, comes from beauty and depression. She is gifted in drawing, painting and writing..She also took 5 years of violin and I was heart broken when she decided to quit. She can pick up a guitar and make up a song pretty quickly but she has no desire to pursue music.

Have you had any epic fangirl moments in this business?

AD: Mmmm hahaha! fangirl moments? I have some funny stories but it would take too long to tell them! OK, so there was a club called The Rock Candy (RKCNDY) in the early 90's. I was underage and had a fake ID...sorry Mom:) I was a huge Soundgarden fan and still am to this day. Their first album is pure magic, not to mention Chris Cornell's voice. He's probably the best male vocal of all time and he will be missed terribly. I was standing in the audience watching a show and I turned around to see this gorgeous, god like being behind me. I stepped up close to him and asked him if he had a cigarette. I felt this electric surge of energy go straight up from us like opposite lightening. He patted his pockets and said no I don't but hold on a minute. He went to a couple people at the bar and came back with a cigarette and a lighter for me. That was my first encounter with Chris. He was a genuine, highly gifted, caring and humble person.  And, he did not judge especially since smoking is terrible for you...by the way, I quit when I was 24 and I highly recommend quitting no matter how old you are people.

KA: funny! I had a similar story about Layne Staley. Although he was all out of cigarettes when I tried to bum off him. (laughs)


KA: During your touring days, did you or your band mates struggle with any vices or demons?

AD: Yes, I am not going to say what vices belonged to which members, but I will say heavy drinking was a problem. Debauchery came into town sometimes when we partied and there are so many completely crazy stories..we had some hysterically epic moments. And, I have been known to have those nights still...last night was one in Georgetown. I will say that I do not do drugs other than alcohol once in awhile. I do love red wine but taking care of my health is very important to me. When I do drink too much something is very wrong in the universe the next day, like today. It's really not worth wasting the next day with a hangover.

KA: Where are you living now, what's life like for you these days?

AD: I am currently in Seattle now and will be in New York soon, then London and then Germany. This is the succession of traveling that goes with my goals for the year.

KA: What are you completely and utterly passionate about?

AD:My true passion is women's and children's rights. It breaks my heart to know how difficult it is to live as a woman or a child in some countries. It's 2017 people..time to step out of the "Dark Ages" into the light.

KA: If you could be anyone else for 24 hours, who would you be?

AD: 24 hours is all I get? Bummer! Can I go back in time? If so, then I would be Tolstoy. Just to know what it is like to possess such genius would be worth the 24 hours. And, in our time, Maya Angelou.

KA: Who are some of the most impressive people you've worked with?

AD: I have to say the Seattle Symphony with Sybil Vane. They played on a couple songs for the Sybil Vane album. Their discipline as musicians is very respectable.

KA: What makes you, well, YOU?

AD: Beyond the nature, nurture give in there is a constant ticking in me making me never content with what I have done in my life. I want to create,  create, and create some more. It is my very core, my existence.

KA: What else do you have in the works, stand on your soapbox, dear.

AD: I am doing another short film about the homeless community, and a book of photos and short interviews with homeless individuals. This is a huge issue in Seattle and all over the world. We need to educate ourselves, and use empathy and walk in people's shoes to understand better. Not everyone homeless is an addict. Seattle closed many doors to homes that housed the mentally ill, and cut benefits for the poor, not to mention if you are not in a certain field that offers the best jobs wherever you are then life can be difficult. These and other factors are some of the reasons people who have no family or anyone to help them can find themselves in a bad situation. If you really think about it, most people are living month to month and becoming homeless could be a reality for many people who have never experienced it before. And some people choose this lifestyle..they are tired of playing society's games. Life is easier without that stress. There is this young man who lost both his parents relatively close and he ended up with their medical bills which he could not pay. He lost everything. Think about his sadness and displacement in life after losing both his parents and having no one to help him. He is a bright, beautiful person that just had a series of unfortunate events take place in his life. This happens to people every day. We cannot separate ourselves or judge people on the basis of having shelter or not having shelter or choosing a lifestyle most of us do not understand. And, being a bit of a gypsy myself I have an understanding. My early childhood was spent on communes where we had one room and shared the kitchen, bathrooms and main living areas with everyone else. We were not homeless but very poor. I was not aware of this because everyone worked together for the farms profits to eat and have a place to call home. I had my imagination and books instead of toys or other material items kids might usually have and I was the happiest I have ever been in my life.

KA: Thanks so much,April. You are amazing!

AD :Thanks, Kim!! This has been my favorite interview ever!! You are really good at this you know!

Check out April at these links!

No comments:

Post a Comment