Friday, December 4, 2020

A chat with Actor/Muscian, Micko Westmoreland


                                  


                                               

                                         KA: Hi Micko! Thanks for chatting with me.

So, as most people know you were in a magical little film in the late 90s called, Velvet Goldmine. You played the mysterious, ethereal, Jack Fairy. You've done so much since then, which we'll talk about, but what is it like to go back and watch yourself in such an iconic character?

I got a dream role in Velvet Goldmine, you see this character that isn’t you whilst at the same time it is. 
As a musician in real life, it was a role which I could extend into. An alter ego created by Todd Haynes that I’ve become good friends with over the years!
Jack appears in the film every 15 or 20 minutes or so, you can engage with the story independently of that character, especially since the movie is so engrossing.
Then he appears again, so for me it’s like what a great film & oh cool, I’m in it too..
Westmoreland and Michael Stipe on the set of Velvet Goldmine.

 




KA: I heard Jarvis Cocker from the band Pulp was originally supposed to play that character. How did you get it instead of him?

MW: Todd was making friends & meeting fabulous people from the Brit Pop scene at the time the movie was being made. There’s echos of Glam in that genre, so there were musicians old & new happy to contribute.
Jarvis turned down Jack Fairy after some thought which in hindsight was probably wise. His persona was too big to step into the part of another musician that was so mysterious. Todd has however worked with Jarvis since, check out this link featuring the work of Stephen Sondheim

 Performed by Jarvis Cocker

Directed by Todd Haynes
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Created for HBO Documentary "Six by Sondheim".

 

KA: There were so many great actors you got to work with, Toni Collette, Ewan McGregor, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, etc. Any good stories of your time creating with them?

MW: Too many to mention. I really liked Tony Colette, she was a wonderfully warm person & a really great laugh. She helped me a lot with my lack of acting experience. There’s certain scenes where she was literally moving me around the frame, in the Sombrero club for example but the viewer doesn’t see it. Ewan McGregor very much treated me like an equal which was very gracious of him, as he was a massive star, particularly at that time. Jonny had a big heart too. 
Todd Haynes is very nonhierarchical, so it all trickles down from the top. Everyone was very accessible on the set, from the sparks, through to wardrobe, to the actors. It was a wonderful time.



 



KA: The film was also filled with some lovely smooches. Everyone in the Fandoms that later came, were focused on the Ewan McGregor and Jonathan Rhys Meyers famous kiss, but you also lip locked a couple talents. What was that like, were you made comfortable? 

MW: Absolutely, I got a full on smacker with Toni, in line with her effervescent character. With Jonny, no tongues Ha ! Sssssh 
In that bathroom seduction scene I really had to act, I was quietly surprised when I saw it.


KA: So, you went on the work with Trent Reznor on his Nothing label. How did that come to be, how did you meet, etc, and what was that like as far as being a musician goes?

MW: The nothing records deal was independent of Velvet Goldmine, although I’m sure the boost in profile that came from the film helped.
Trent's AR guy, was into Luke Vibert (Plug); the album was called Drum & bass for Papa, I was on the same label so they found out about me through him. 
We were signed along with a number of Warp acts. The electronica thing didn’t particularly happen in the states so we were all ‘let go’ after the one album.



KA: Reznor found a lot of great bands that didn't go very far, like the band Prick for instance. I really dig them. What bands do you think are underrated?

MW: Pere Ubu, the Silver Apples, Wendy Carlos, Peter Perrett



KA: Your music with the band, Micko & the Mellotronics now is very reminiscent of 90s britpop with a glam touch. What are some surprising ways your music has been described and how would you personally describe it?

MW: I personally don’t think in terms of category as I’m not looking to define myself, I’m trying make the music change & evolve at all times.
However, it’s fair to say that there’s a fair bit of social observation & kitchen sink drama in the mix.
Working with Jon Klein (ex-Banshee/Specimen) has had a big impact on the sound, he’s an amazing player & working together on the album was tremendous fun. We have been compared to brit pop, but that’s I think largely because of the lyrics, there’s a tendency to look for what it’s like, in order for others to cognise it. I hope that’s it unlike anything else really..


 

Micko & the Mellotronics




KA: which bands in the 90s were you big on? I was a huge Pulp, Suede, and The Verve fan myself. 

MW: I wasn’t really into the band scene during the 90s I was into electronic music. The technology was opening up tremendously & the possibilities seemed limitless, the bedroom musician was the buzz phrase around that time. I did like Supergrass & Pulp though difficult bands not to like

KA: What record labels do you currently work with? 

MW: I set my own up in 2015 www.landlinerecords.com I really want to do my own thing, so that was the sensible way to go. I’m dead lucky because I’ve never been been interfered with when making my own stuff. I did an album on Terry Edwards’ Sartorial label (PJ Harvey, Madnesss, Blockheads) before that. Terry is a great friend & a wonderful player..

KA: You went to art school, yeah? Who are some of your favorite artists? I myself am big on pop surrealism.

MW: I like Egon Schiele, the de Brucke group, Man Ray, Marcel Ducamp is my favourite of all time. So pretty old school.

KA: So, acting, music, art, what else do you love? Any hidden talents?

MW: Reading Raymond Chandler & watching Columbo episodes.

KA: What has been your new 2020 quarantine routine, has it motivated you or made you slack a bit?

MW: I’m been putting out the 1/2 Dove - 1/2 Pigeon album, so there’s been things to do. But covid has been a twitchy & confusing time for everyone. 


 

KA: Give me three bands to listen to and 3 films to watch.

MW: Here’s 3 albums Histoire de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg, Snowflakes are dancing by Iso Tomita, Future Days by Can
Mulholland Drive by David Lynch, Spirited away by Miyazaki, Performance by Nic Roeg 

KA: What is your everyday life like? You have a son, yeah?

MW: Yes, I have a 3 year old, Gene Joseph, he’s a total blast. If you have a kid, simple things become very apparent, like the primary directive of the species, we are put here essentially to make more of ourselves, it’s as base as that.

KA: How do you balance your creative career with family life?

MW: That’s a very good question..

KA: (LAUGHS) 


KA: Are you looking forward to the day you can show your son your role as Jack Fairy? 

MW: He’s already seen pictures. Yes, absolutely. I’m also looking forward to watching it on BBCZ in my dotage.

KA: Have you been able, before Covid,  to tour with your bands, and are you planning any social distance streaming shows? 

MW: We’ll be back on the road gigging when there’s an assemblage of reality. Too much competition with the tele box with a live streaming. 

KA: I found you by chance in a Facebook group. How has social media benefitted your career? 

MW: It connects a lot of things up, like this for example. It is annoying that we seem to be being quietly bugged. Turn your microphone off in settings! I’m no conspiracy theorist though, there’s far more evidence that people don’t know what’s going on than do.

KA: Tell me about some of the interesting members of your different bands you've had. You work with the guitarist of souxie and the banshee, comedians, among others? 

MW: I’ve worked with members of The Specials, The Stranglers, Madness, The Damned, The Blockheads, the band's own Jon Klein of course, from Specimen/Siouxsie & the banshees, Terry Edwards (P J Harvey) & Neil Innes from Python & Bonzo Dog to name a few. So some brilliant talent. That’s one of the best things, working with really talented people.
For our videos, we have worked exclusively with Ashley Jones & managed to attract some fantastic actors. All the connections essentially came from the comedian Kevin Eldon, who I play in a charity band with for the Teenage Cancer Trust. Paul Putner (Title Britain) has helped a hell of a lot too.

KA: What bands are popular in your area of England right now? 

MW: Ou, not sure on that one, your not asking the right person

KA: When we hungout (socially distanced, of course) you said meditation helped you in the past. Has it helped with your creative side? 

MW: Yes, massively. I couldn’t really write lyrics before meditation. I could come up with the odd phrase but that was it. I heard David Lynch talking about TM on the radio one morning & it sounded so fascinating. He was right. Without sounding preachy, it’s good for balance, it resets & reminds you what’s important. Problems that seem really big find perspective. If you suffer for anxiety, insomnia for you just feel blocked in some way, it will help tremendously. It blasts bad habits to bits. The beauty of it is, that you can take from it what you wish. TM is not looking to take anything from you, it’s only going to give..

KA: Any thing you'd like to say to readers of the blog, or fans? 

MW: What was the quote from the keyboard player in the outro of the Spinal Tap movie, ‘Have a good time, all the time’. Were only here for so long after all

KA: thank you so much for your time, Micko. You are a gem. 


Micko &the mellotronics "Psychedelic Shirt 


Photo credits to Ashley Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment